Friday 25 May 2012

iced coffee

It's so satisfying to discover that you can make something at home just as well as they do in restaurants. Let's face it: we're not made of money. So when you can enjoy one of life's little luxuries without spending your retirement funds it feels pretty good.

We are having unheard of weather for May. Someone has decided to skip spring altogether this year and jump right into summer. We don't have air conditioning, and someone at some point decided it would be a good idea to paint most of the windows shut. So it's hot. I'd forgotten how in the summer everything just feels sticky. It's this kind of weather that has me craving frozen coffee drinks. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, and in the heat I don't enjoy my tea as much, so getting some cool, sweet drink from a cafe (or, with our budget, more likely Tim Horton's) just feels like such a treat.

The chaos of renovations and unpacking makes me want to treat myself more, but it also means that we're on a tighter budget so I'm really trying to rein myself in. Living in the city makes it all the more tempting as there are now coffee shops almost within arm's reach. Anyway, after a little online research I discovered that iced coffee is really very simple to make at home. Using the "cold brew" method I don't even have to get out my coffee maker. Hooray!

Yesterday I enjoyed my first cup of homemade iced coffee. Getting to experiment with my own blends and save money at the same time...well, let's just say it tastes pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment